The holidays are upon us and we are totally here for everything this season has to offer. Whether that means stocking up on Patti Pies, indulging in pumpkin spice everything, Christmas music on repeat, holiday travel, or shopping of course. However, although the most wonderful time of the year is festive it can also be a bit stressful if we’re not careful. That’s why we stand by making self-care a must during this celebratory (but sometimes taxing) season.
Here are a few self-care rituals that are truly helping me survive this holiday season:
- Baths: I swear by this simple self-care ritual. Every night at 8:30pm I light several candles, sit in my empty tub, let it fill up with warm water, and listen to music ranging from Tosha Cobbs to Solange to Sade. I find that sitting in the tub and allowing it to fill with me in it makes the water the perfect temperature. I lie back and exhale after an always long and busy day. No epsom salt, no soaks, sometimes just warm water is enough. And it’s something about those candles that just make me feel so at ease.
- Massage: Before I began getting massages I would go to the chiropractor pretty often and it helped a lot but it just seemed a bit harsh with all the popping and snapping. So I decided to book a deep tissue massage and it literally changed my life. Waking up in the morning with a sore neck and back were becoming my daily routine. After receiving a deep tissue massage I woke up the next morning feeling like a 15 year old! I go once a month and it is fabulous. I’m even thinking of going twice a month because it’s that good.
- Facials: Most women think of facials as a bit of an after thought, but after getting my first one, it is another self care ritual that I stand by. It rejuvenated my face in a way that I’ve never experienced before. It was so good I found myself staring at my reflection for a full 15 minutes marveling at the results. If you can’t get to a salon, a good facial mask that you can do weekly is a great option.
- Exercise: Yes, I know, it doesn’t sound as glamourous as soothing baths, massages, and facials but, exercise is absolutely necessary for a healthy self-care routine. Any form of exercise whether it’s kemetic yoga, high intensity interval training, cross-fit, running, swimming, tennis, or just plain walking, all help your body to rejuvenate and help you to look and feel your best.
- Detox: Detoxing your body is an amazing way to reboot after indulging in all the rich and delicious foods that consume the holidays. Detoxing via juicing or teas will have your skin glowing and flowing.
Self-care is so super important all year round but, it’s especially necessary during the holiday season. So many of us have our family and friends depending on us to whip up fabulous dinner and our own personal desires to get our loved ones the best gifts it’s important to take care of you. Making self-care a daily ritual can help with feeling overwhelmed, exhausted, and even sick. Trust me you’re worth it.
What are some of your self-care rituals during the holidays and beyond? Let us know in comments!